If you are a disabled person and living in Gwynedd, you are entitled to buy a disabled person’s railcard.
The railcard allows you and 1 adult companion to get 1/3 off most rail fares throughout the United Kingdom (some exceptions apply – see the application form).
The railcard will be valid for one year from date of purchase. You can use it as frequently as you wish, but you will need to show your card every time you buy a ticket.
How much does a railcard cost?
The concessionary railcard costs £17.
Can I get a card?
You can buy a disabled person’s railcard if you:
- are registered as having a visual impairment
- are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid
- have epilepsy
- receive a disability living allowance
- receive war or service disablement pension
- are buying or leasing a vehicle through the Motability scheme
The full definitions are noted on the application form. When submitting your application, you will be asked for proof of your eligibility to receive a disabled person’s railcard. The types of documents accepted as proof are also noted on the application form.
How do I buy a railcard?
You can buy a railcard by:
Post: Download the following application form below and return it with a cheque / postal order made payable to ‘Cyngor Gwynedd’, to the address noted on the form itself:
Over the counter: Railcards can be purchased with cash, debit card or cheque/postal order made payable to ‘Cyngor Gwynedd’ at:
- Arfon Area Office, Penrallt, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 1BN
- Dwyfor Area Office, Ffordd y Cob, Pwllheli, Gwynedd, LL53 5AA
- Meirionnydd Area Office, Cae Penarlâg, Dolgellau, Gwynedd, LL40 2YB
- Blaenau Ffestiniog Library, Canolfan Maenofferen, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3DL
- Penrhyndeudraeth Library, Llys Deudraeth, Penrhyndeudraeth, Gwynedd, LL48 6BL
To request a paper copy of the application form, please complete our online enquiry form or call 01766 771000.
I've lost my railcard. What should I do?
Please contact us by calling 01766 771000.
The normal fee of £17 will be payable for the replacement of a lost disabled railcard, which is the purchase price for the original card as paid by Gwynedd Council.
Note: No fee will be charged for the replacement of a stolen senior railcard as long as the holder provides documentary evidence showing a crime reference number issued by the Police. Without this reference no free replacement railcard will be issued and the price of £17 will be payable.
If you can not find the information you are looking for on this page, contact us by using our on-line form:
You can also contact us by calling 01766 771000.