Map of the site  |  Text size: A (normal) | A (medium) | A (large)  |  Contrast: A (normal) | A (medium) | A (high)  |  Accessibility  |  Help

   
HomeContact usDo it onlineA-Z of servicesDepartmentsMapsMy AccountCymraeg
You are here: Home > News > Press Releases > 2011 Press Releases > August
 

Gwynedd travel passes for post-16 education

bus
Do you use a bus or train to get to your classes?

Gwynedd students and school pupils starting a post-16 course within the county for the first time this September will be asked to buy a travel ticket if they use public transport to get to classes.

The 16+ Travel Ticket costs £60 per term for those studying at their nearest school or college, or £100 for those who live outside their school or college’s catchment area.

Gwynedd Council is urging young people who are planning to start a new course in the new academic year to start making arrangements now – visit the website www.gwynedd.gov.uk/StudentTravelPass to find out more about the scheme, the travel network, costs and how to purchase a pass.

Once the student or pupil has registered on a post-16 course, passes can be purchased from the Gwynedd Council website from 1 September onwards.

Students who have already started a course, for example those who will be going to Year 13 or are in their second year of a vocational course, do not have to purchase a ticket and can travel as they did last year.

These new arrangements form part of Gwynedd Council’s savings strategy, and were approved by the Council Board during January 2011. The Council is committed to protecting the education that young people receive directly and finding efficiency savings from other services surrounding the classroom. This policy will save the Education Department £330,000 over the next three years.

Though there is no statutory obligation on the Council to provide transport for those in post-16 education the Council will still be subsidising school and college transport by around 80% and the remaining 20% of costs will be made up by student contribution through purchasing a 16+ Travel Ticket.

Dewi R. Jones, Gwynedd Council’s Head of Education, said: “Young people who are planning on studying at the sixth form or are hoping to attend Coleg Menai or Coleg Llandrillo at Dolgellau, Pwllheli or Glynllifon should start planning for this now so that they are ready to purchase a travel ticket after they register for their course.

“The Council also wishes to remind students that they may be eligible to receive £30 per week in Education Maintenance Allowance – money that is intended to help with course related costs such as travel, books and equipment.”

Information about the scheme is available at www.gwynedd.gov.uk/StudentTravelPass or telephone 01766 771000 or ask at your school or college.


 



Can't find what you're looking for? Use the A-Z or search the site
Last updated: 27/08/2011
 
Terms and Conditions|Privacy and Cookies|© Gwynedd Council 2014
Skip to [ top of page ]