Map of the site  |  Text size: A (normal) | A (medium) | A (large)  |  Contrast: A (normal) | A (medium) | A (high)  |  Accessibility  |  Help

HomeContact usDo it onlineA-Z of servicesDepartmentsMapsMy AccountCymraeg
You are here: Home > Council and Democracy > Councillors, Democracy and Elections > Elections > How do I vote?
How do I register to vote?

You must be on the electoral register before you can vote in an election or referendum in the UK.

You must register every year to ensure that your name is on the register.

The fact that you pay Council Tax does not mean that your name appears automatically on the electoral register.

If your name is on the register you do not have to vote.

If your name is not on the register it’s possible that you may have problems when making applications for financial services, e.g. opening a bank account, applying for a loan.


Who can register to vote?
You can register to vote if you are:

  • 17 or over (but you cannot vote until you’re 18 years old)
  • an UK, Republic of Ireland or Commonwealth citizen
  • a citizen of an European Union country living in the UK
  • a citizen of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory living in the UK

How do I register?
You can register to vote and update your details on the register by visiting the website

Information about the national changes to the way you register to vote can be found on:

The electoral register
The Electoral Registration Officer creates and keeps 2 versions of the register: 

  • The full register: The full register shows the names of everyone who can vote. You can check that you are on the register by calling 01766 771000. The full register is used only for elections, preventing and detecting crime and checking applications for credit. 
  • The edited register: The edited register includes the names and addresses of everyone who has not asked to be excluded from that version fo the register. There is a question on the registration form asking if you want to be excluded from the edited register. Anyone can buy a copy of the edited register, and it can be used for any purpose, e.g. commercial activities such as marketing.
    Since 2008, Gwynedd Council provides Council Tax data and the Electoral Register to the Audit Commission. This is done to prevent and detect fraud using data matching. To ensure full compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998, we are informing you of the intention to provide relevant data held by Gwynedd Council. The Audit Commission will also treat the data in accordance with the Act.

How can I check if my name is on the electoral register?

I’m a student – where should I register?
Students can register at both their home address and their university address. It is an offence to vote more than once in a national election but you can vote in local elections at both of your addresses, e.g. to choose a local councillor, as long as they are not in the same electoral area.

I’m in the Armed Forces – how do I register?
Information is available on the Aboutmyvote (Electoral Commission) website.

I’m a Crown Servant, British Council employee, member of the Armed Forces posted overseas – can I register to vote?
Crown Servants, British Council employees and members of the Armed Forces posted overseas can vote in all elections and therefore need to register. More information is available on the Aboutmyvote (Electoral Commission) website.

I’ve moved overseas to live recently. Can I still vote in the UK?
If you move overseas, you can register to vote in Parliamentary Elections and European Elections in th UK. You can live overseas for up to 15 years and keep your right to vote in the UK, but you must complete an ‘overseas’ form every year. For more information go to the Aboutmyvote (Electoral Commission) website.

Feedback on this page - Cofrestru i bleidleisio

Type of feedback:

If you have a general enquiry or comment about Gwynedd Council or about Council services please use our Enquiries Form.

You must fill in the fields marked *

Last updated: 01/07/2014
Terms and Conditions|Privacy and Cookies|© Gwynedd Council 2014
Skip to [ top of page ]